PBC is the proud owner of a dozen of shells, on this page only the shells which are currently being used for races are listed.
PBC currently also uses the pair/double Two Fat Ladies, which is owned by Murray Edwards Boat Club who use our boat house, and coxed four bowloader Geoff Dale owned by Chesterton Boat Club.
Since its arrival this shell, often referred to as 'Cally', has been used by the Women's First VIII, with considerable success, going up a total of 8 places and winning blades in May Bumps 2013.
Emeritus Professor Christopher R. Calladine was a Fellow at Peterhouse from 1960 to his retirement in 2002 and has actively helped the Boat Club for a long time.
Wilson Of Tillyorn
This shell, sometimes referred to as 'Bob' from the time it did not have a name, in reference to its code (808), has been used by the Men's First VIII and has been instrumental in their rise from 7th in the second division at the beginning of the 2008 Lent Bumps, to 7th in the first division in the 2013 Lent Bumps.
David Wilson, Baron Wilson of Tillyorn was Master of Peterhouse 2002-8.
Make: Eton Racing Boats
This shell was originally used by the Women's First VIII, but with the purchase of Cally has been rolled down to the Women's Second VIII were she continues to be used. She was refurbished in 2011.
Named after the wife of Lord Wilson.
Sir John Meurig
Make: Eton Racing Boat
Bought in an emergency after a destructive trailer accident, Sir John was originally used as the Men's First VIII, but has now rolled down to be used by the Men's Second VIII.
Sir John Meurig Thomas was Master of Peterhouse 1993-2002.
Currently used as Men's Third VIII and Men's Novices.
Brian matriculated in 1954, to study engineering. This was at a time when PBC was very much a force, and was rapidly ascending the Lent Bump charts. Brian became Captain of Boats in 1955-6, and ably led the club into its most successful year ever. Brian was renowned for his leadership abilities and ability to bring together a crew despite struggles and disagreement. His good friend and Olympic Oarsman, Tom Askwith, said the following of the 1955-6 year, 'their success was mainly due to. their dynamic captain, Brian Oxley'.
Currently used as Women's Third VIII/novices shell.
One of the two matched IVs (the other being Gorden Hewlitt) used by the seniors of the club.
An Olympic Oarsman himself, Danny coached PBC crews in the 1950s, including the 1st VIII in the year of the Club's annus mirabilis of 1955-6.
One of the two matched IVs (the other being Danny Taylor) used by the seniors of the club.
Gordon Hewlett strokes the successful 1955-6 crew and was Captain of the Club during the following year. Gordon has long supported the Club both as a trustee of the Boat Club Fund and on the towpath as both a supporter and coach.
Purchased to complement Spoon.
Andrew Silk was the Club's Boatman and Head Coach for many years, taking over from his father, Roger Silk. Andy was a superb coach, forming part of the highly successful coaching team that led Cambridge University Women's Boat Club (CUWBC) to nearly a decade of victories against Oxford during the 1990s. Andy was widely respected within the Club, and injected a sense of enjoyment into the crews he coached. Sadly, Andy lost his long battle with cancer in March 2005.
When purchased this shell ensured that the Club would be able to compete at the level required in scull races.
Purchased from David Sawtell at a discounted rate. David stroked the oars-winning 2003 Men's First Eight, and was also a keen sculler.